Flash Required to view this area.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Urban Vegetation

Though I would say that Portland is a fairly large metropolitan area, I would not say that it has many of the downfalls of bigger cities. The biggest one I can think of (say in New York City) is the lack of vegetation. Portland has an abundance of trees and plants throughout the city and even in its more urban areas, such as downtown and Northwest Portland. Nevertheless, on a recent walk down 23rd St. in NW PDX, I was surprised to see planters filled with varieties of cabbage! They were so vibrant and detailed in their veining that I couldn't pass up the chance to capture them on digital film. Look at the pinks and purples running through the leaves of this plant.

Vibrant Cabbage


I later found other cabbage examples in a variety of sizes and colors, from huge and red to small and green. I moved in close on one cabbage to snap the gorgeous textures on the leaves and then converted it to black and white in Nik Software's Silver Efex Pro. I love how it turned out!

Textured Cabbage


I recommend, as always, clicking on the images above to view them in the full glory (a larger size) at Flickr.

____________________
Eric
Eric Lovelin Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment