Flash Required to view this area.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hints of Spring

Spring is just starting to rear its beautiful head, and depending on where you live, you may be able to begin to witness its awesomeness in any number of ways. If you're in Northern California, check out the beautiful white blooms in almond orchards across Butte County. Or I can step out my front door and see some small but brilliantly yellow daffodils working on their resilience.

While walking the Eastbank Esplanade last week, I saw many plants not even thinking about blooming yet, still in hibernation until the Portland lows creep out of the mid-30s into something more seasonably spring. Nevertheless, I stumbled upon a small patch of daffodils and purple flowers working hard on making their mark overlooking the Willamette River. I captured the below shot and love its vibrance, the contrast of purple with the green, and just a hint of yellow in the stamen of the flower.

Diamond in the Rough


But as nature goes, and people without a green thumb could certainly tell you, not all plants are bound to make it once they've popped out of the ground or been planted. Any number of factors could lead to the demise of one or all of your plants. I kept looking around this small bed of flowers and noticed a fallen hero.

Fallen to the Pressures of Spring


Now that March has arrived, I can't wait to wander my neighborhood and town and celebrate the color and variety of Spring!
____________________
Eric
Eric Lovelin Photography

1 comment: