Flash Required to view this area.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Shooting Wildlife

While at Lake Chelan, there were several times when one of us exclaimed, "There are deer behind the cabin!" I reached for my camera as my dad grabbed his video camcorder, both hoping to capture the elegant and majestic qualities of wild deer strolling through the brush and trees near the lake.

My first attempts were with my walk-around lens, the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L. While I love this lens for its sharpness, speed, and versatility, it simply isn't long enough to capture photos of wildlife. By the time I get close enough, they've noticed me and moved away. Capturing wildlife with a shorter lens turns into a game of cat and mouse. In the end, I used my Tamron 75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD lens to get that extra reach while maintaining the element of surprise.

Youthful Buck

I am positive that a future investment in my photography will most definitely need to be a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L lens, though my bank account simply cannot bear that burden currently. But the benefit of that lens is not only sharpness and speed, weather proofing, and the highest quality components, but the wide aperture blurs backgrounds further accentuating the animal being shot, or rather photographed. You'll notice the wilderness behind the buck above is just a bit too crisp to allow him to stand out because of the 5.6 aperture at which it was shot. Sure, Photoshop can provide lens blur via a filter to recreate the effect, but as Scott Kelby would advocate, get it right in the camera!

Here's another shot I love...

Lookout

Stay tuned for my encounters with the cutest duck imaginable!

No comments:

Post a Comment