Flash Required to view this area.

Friday, January 22, 2010

A little slice of France in Portland

In the gloomy days of winter, with gray skies and period rain, Molly and I ventured to Portland's Pittock Mansion with my parents and Drifter. Pittock Mansion, once owned by The Oregonian's Henry Pittock and his wife, is a French Renaissance château in Portland's West Hills, with a gorgeous overlook over downtown. The Pittock has 22 rooms and is built out of Washington State sandstone on over 46 acres of hilly land. Because it was a dreary day, I chose to focus on the details of the experience, which I often do. It's my way of retelling my experience in miniature and something I think I do well.

Mansion Architectural Accents

See how the architecture takes center stage and the gloominess of the sky falls away!?!

And these steps were much more exciting when you can't see the whole staircase. The overgrown moss becomes more salient and tells more about the wet locale.

Weathered Climb


The gift shop exterior was unexciting, but not one portion of the wall and the vines growing on it.

Climb the Wall


After walking the grounds, I spotted this quiet spot to relax on a sunny day.

A Quiet Seat


And finally, here's Molly and Drifter near a different bench.

Pittock Walk


____________________
Eric
Eric Lovelin Photography

1 comment:

  1. That's is some ridiculously good looking moss. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete