Flash Required to view this area.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Art of the Brick

While at Turtle Bay, Molly and I saw one of the most unique uses of LEGOs I have ever seen. Nathan Sawaya's passion for building with LEGOs goes beyond anything I did as a child. He is an artist first and foremost, and his newest medium is plastic bricks. You can view more about him over at his website.

Art of the Brick Exhibit


While not an exceptionally large exhibit, I was astonished by what I saw. The pencil sculpture above is 6 feet tall! I didn't capture a picture of it, but Nathan has built a T-Rex that requires additional ceiling supports to stand. At one point, he was commissioned to build a replica of the Iwo Jima memorial using over 100,000 LEGO bricks. The face is missing from the statue below as I looked up at it for a photograph.

Face/Off


I loved the primary colored LEGO statues in the background of this image, especially framed with a guy just hanging out.

Hang in There


But I also mentioned that Nathan's an artist. And some of that art is beautiful portraits of his wife. Some is also conceptual. This work is titled Crowd. From close, it certainly appears to be a group of people confined enough to be labeled a crowd. However, from far away, it provides a separate view.

Crowd


And I'll leave you with perhaps the most astonishing feat using LEGOs I have ever seen. This piece is titled The Future. As Molly and I stood discussing its meaning and composition, be it binary or some sort of futuristic representation, the curator encouraged us to see it from other angles. I have rotated that view so that you might be able to better understand Sawaya's intent in creating this piece of art. Enjoy!

The Future


____________________
Eric
Eric Lovelin Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment