Flash Required to view this area.

Friday, October 23, 2009

Texture!

So I've been commenting a lot lately about the slowness of the color change here in Chico. I think I have yet to realize that the trees are going to shift to these vibrant shades of orange and red and stay that way for awhile because of this slow color trend. And that is going to be out of this world. In the mean time, I'd recommend trying something that I saw Moose Peterson (world famous landscape photographer) do on his blog.

Certainly the trademark photos of Fall are of brilliant shades of red, orange, yellow, green, and even brown. But Moose said that he wanted to focus on his Black & White fall color photos. At first, I was confused. But then I thought about it. At this time of year, not only are the leaves beautifully colored, but the differences between colors reproduces well in black and white as crisp and contrasting textures.

Fall Berry Bounty

See how unbelievable those veins in the leaf are? They're green with the tips of the leaf a deep burgundy. But in black and white the contrast is almost better! And things always look so crisp in black and white.

Cross Branch

All of my photos are converted to black and white using Nik Software's Silver Efex Pro. It's a plug-in for Photoshop that gives me complete control over brightness, contrast, and structure throughout the image, as well as some incredible built-in presets. This little piece of software will rock your world if you want to process photos to black and white.

See you soon for hot air balloons, chocolate chip cookies, and dancing zombies!

____________________
Eric
Eric Lovelin Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment