Flash Required to view this area.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Pearl's Charm

One of Portland's newest up and coming neighborhoods is the Pearl District, loosely defined as close-in Northwest Portland hugged by I-405 and the Willamette River. Once industrial and abandoned warehouses, now retail shops, trendy cafés, and million-dollar condos abound. There certainly is much to offer in this neighborhood. Some of my favorite retail establishments are downtown in the Pearl District, as well as restaurants like Henry's 12th Street Tavern and Shannon's fave, the Vault martini bar. While walking around down there recently, Molly and I stumbled upon Patagonia and this cute sign outside reminding residents and visitors alike about their many possible modes of transportation in the city.

How to Travel?


For my money, I am not sure I would ever live in "The Pearl." It offers a great deal accessible by foot, but is still a very urban space. Yards are non-existent. And non-paved pathways for dog walking are certainly at a minimum. Nevertheless, developers and residents have done a decent job of combining nature with urban sprawl in this area. I took Molly to this park that I had photographed a long time ago. A runner happened to be stretching while observing Portland's Fremont Bridge. I couldn't pass up the snapshot and think it characterizes Portland today.

PDX-11

____________________
Eric
Eric Lovelin Photography

1 comment:

  1. We ate in the Pearl last time we were in Portland - it reminded me of Willy Street, but like you said, more urban - same clientele, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete